Thursday, October 13, 2011

Travelling between the GCC countries

One of the many unintended benefits of the life of the Expat is the opportunity to travel and experience different cultures and countries.

Last week I had one such opportunity again to travel from the UAE to Bahrain and from Bahrain, through the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia back to the UAE. Now I have been to these countries many many times, both for business and pleasure, and have driven extensively in all three of them. This familiarity gave me the confidence to export my vehicle from Bahrain to the UAE... The Wise Expat and his family recently relocated from Bahrain to the UAE, and one of the last relocation tasks was to export the family vehicle, which has been standing collecting dust. On a side note, this vehicle can now be entered into the world's filthiest car and I would imagine that it would have a good shot of winning this title!

Back to the purpose for this entry..., Exporting a vehicle... now this is a task not for the fainthearted, or those who are challenges in the patience stakes... I have never seen so much paperwork needed for a transaction, and it felt like I was on a mission to collect as many as possible government stamps on my forms. With all the will in the world, I completed the paperwork successfully, and set of the next day to take on the might of the Saufi Immigration officials on the Bahrain/Saudi border. Having lived in Bahrain for almost three years, The Wise Expat has a strange familiarity with Bahraini officials. The Saudi officials on the other hand... is a different value proposition! You see, the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia dont have a tourism culture, and visitors invariably get a sense that they are not welcome in the Kingdom. In Saudi, the vibe is... do your business and get out!

It is with this sense that I braved the Saudi border, and after spending the better part of the day on the Causeway, I was unceremoniously turned back because I did not have a transit visa before hand, when it was explained on a few occassions that one can obtain a transit Visa on the border.

As most visitors to Saudi will know, there just is no sense in negotiating with the Saudi Immigration officials... and because it was Friday, I had no choice but to abandon this export process and return to Bahrain. I got back on a plane to the safety of the UAE... thinking to myself... I should get a cargo company to move this vehicle!

2 comments:

  1. Hi There,

    Sorry to use the comment function on your blog but I am afraid I couldn't find an email address for you. I am an editor at www.expatarrivals.com and I am interested in having expat writers to contribute a guide I am putting together about Bahrain for new arrivals. I was hoping you might be interested in contributing in return for some extra exposure for your blog or our website.

    If you are interested please email me on shantalie@expatarrivals.com.

    Hope to hear from you soon.

    ReplyDelete

  2. My name is Joe Pinzone and I'm casting an international travel show about expats moving abroad. We'd love to film in Bahrain and wanted to know if you could help us find expats who have moved there within the last 1-2 years or have been there for 3-4 years, but recently moved into a new home. The show documents their move to a new country and will place the country in fabulous light. I wanted to know if you could help spread the word to expats living there or are close to moving. If you'd like more information, please give me a call at 212-231-7716 or skype me at joefromnyc. You can also email me at joepinzone@leopardusa.com. Looking forward to hearing from you.

    Joe Pinzone
    Casting Producer
    P: 212-231-7716
    Skype: Joefromnyc

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read the post. Your comments are appreciated.